Wednesday, January 7, 2009

FACEBOOK.. THE NEW CRACK..



I promise you I cannot remember a time where cells phones were not surgically attached to my hand, and I had a better relationship with the world wide web than most of my relatives. I believe Google is now a second cousin by marriage. First it was MYSPACE, then the alumni websites, and now FACEBOOK. I'm cancelling my TWITTER account as we speak. Now my Blackberry has gotten in on the conspiracy to destroy all human contact... with one scroll, I can update my status that I just took the trash out or you just caught me pumicing my heel. Do the masses really need to know that one? I'm in a codependent relationship.. and I don't like it. I actually tried to force myself off the facebook website, but once again, the Blackberry trumps me by sending a friendly email advising a Facebook Friend has commented on my status that I just finished wiping my ass and I was heading out for some chinese food. I'm no better than the rest. I get caught up looking at family photos, playing those mind numbing quizzes, searching for old boyfriends, crushes or the chick that was voted most popular in high school... then you see she's gained 50 lbs and still lives in Montezuma, Georgia. The worst part.. the "online friends" notification at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Deep down, I feel like a loser when the same people keep catching me online. It's like an invasion of privacy. I want to say.. "hey, I have a life.. I just jumped on to see if I was "tagged" in any photos". I know I have a problem, that is the first step to rehabilitation.. right? And what the hell is a "poke" supposed to mean.

1 comment:

F.U. said...

O.M.G.

I am not happy with this WWW invasion on life. Facebook is a problem. And seriously, it is really just to be nosy and see how many friends you can add. You end up not even speaking to the people you befriend because they really aren't even your friends! They just wanted to see what you look like now and if they are doing big things are losers just like you thought they would be.

I have friends who can't go minutes without "Twittering" and/or updating their Facebook status and muthafucka for what???? I just don't get it. I don't understand why people think that people give a shit about what they are doing or thinking ever 2 minutes.

Can you imagine how children are going to function in life 10 years from now? Everything is going to be online and thru robots or something. Human contact and making an actual effort to court each other or share more than bullshit updates is going to be null and void.

It makes me sad actually. I might have to blog about this. Thanks TBC for letting me know that I'm not the only one doesn't understand wut da hell the point of a poke is?