Tuesday, June 3, 2008

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM



A DAY IN HISTORY: JUNE 3, 2008

Sitting here watching CNN coverage of the Democratic primaries. As we all know to be evident, we finally have chosen a Democratic nominee. The realization of the historical significance of this day came to me with surprised emotion and sheer excitement. Looking toward the next few months to the general election, my thoughts go to the current state of our nation. To put things in perspective, I just paid $4.08 for a gallon of gas. I had a conversation with my mother who is contemplating the increasing costs of elderly adult care for my ailing grandfather, along with my underline fear of not knowing if my current income will sustain longevity. Then I say, this is how history repeats itself. It is all in cycles, and we all have choices. January 20,2001, George W. Bush was inaugurated as the 43rd President. A mere 8 months later, the tragedy of 911 engulfed our nation. He had a choice on his legacy as an American President. Most would not argue that the choices he made left our nation in greater dispair than 8 years ago when he took office. If our "GREAT BLACK HOPE" makes it to the Oval Office in November, what ruin will our nation be left in. The true testiment will be how he pulls us out of the wars and financial depression our current leader has placed us in. Then I think.. but this is what WE do. We rise to that challenge and succeed because we have always been prepared for the worst case scenario. We are used to discrimination, unequal pay, looking on as Georgia state drivers can still place a Dixie flag on the front of their vehicle as if to commemorate a great time in history. In college, I was always told you WILL have to do twice a good as your white counterpart to compete on a level playing field. We were raised to change the course of history. I used to imagine how much we could achieve if we atleast do the basics, but now we have an example of someone who has done the impossible. That is what I take from this day.

No comments: