Tuesday, June 17, 2008

BITTER, PARTY OF ONE




So, I'm a young black single female in my early (mid) thirties living in a large metropolitan city. I can honestly say I am content with life as it lays before me. Great family and friends, wonderful place to call home, and a 3 lb dog that thinks I am the Queen of All the Animals. Every blue moon, you get pulled out of this sense of contentment with the most annoying question for single women everywhere.. "Why are you still single?". These "single" reminders would render any woman with low self esteem, fearful and desperate. Personally, I'm quite used to the age old question, and usually prepared when thrust upon me. The most common place I hear it is at family reunions year after year. Slowly you start to notice that all your first cousins show up with the new boyfriend/fiance/husband, and you're still riding solo. Sometimes, you catch that look of pity from the drunk Aunt that thinks it's funny to ask about your sex life in front of your overly strict father who wants to believe you are still a virgin. Or the most offensive "Is she a lesbian?". Just because I show up to the cookout male-less does not mean I'm batting for the other team. The second most common is when you are in Best Buy and you have been waiting to buy that brand new 42" plasma television, but forget that eventhough someone from the store helped load it into your car, you now have to figure out how to get it inside your house by yourself without dropping it on your foot. BUT.. the one that sends me into a personal tail spin is sitting in my gynecologist's office being told I have to get a sonogram because I may have fibroids but everyone else in the "Secret Sonogram Waiting Room" is there to confirm the exciting news of the impending birth of their child. I'm never angry, jealous, or BITTER about those that have found their soul mates. I just sometimes wonder why it is so hard to find mine. After several failed relationships, I've been told I'm too picky and I need to have realistic expectations. I believe part of that to be true, but in making the most important decision of your life.. like choosing the person to help you pay the bills, who will help build a future for the both of you, who you decide will be the LAST person you have sex with (ever), who you decide to procreate with, who you will sometimes put before yourself because you can't see life without them. With all that said, shouldn't I be a little PICKY?

No comments: