Friday, December 12, 2008

Fix Or Repair Daily


Most of my natural life my family had been involved with the sale of American made automobiles. Before retirement, my dad was an automobile dealer. Since I was atleast 5 years old, I knew nothing of foreign made cars. My first car was a white Ford Mustang (not the GT) with a tape deck. All through college, I drove different models of the Ford Probe, Mustang, Thunderbird, Explorer and Tempo (I was on punishment on that last one). Yes, my dream car was a BMW, but I never dared become picky over a vehicle I was not making the car payments on. Were they the best cars to drive.. no.. but as far as my wallet was concerned.. they were FREE! So fast forward to 2000, I got my first taste of luxury. It came in the form of a silver 323i. That is the first time I became one with my vehicle. I know one should never be so attached to material things, but me and that car had a strong bond. I almost shed a tear when I traded her in for an updated model.
What brings me down auto memory lane is that feeling of excitement when making that car purchase. It is the second biggest purchase you will ever make outside of buying a home. The American automakers need to figure out a way to create that magic. So, if you're getting $15 Billion from the feds, I don't see why it is brain surgery to come up with a product that is marketable to the general public. Not everybody needs to ride in a HUMMER or an F250. It seems like everyone else saw the tide changing, what made these company execs want to stay the course and let the ship sink all in the need to change the body style on the Ford Focus. Again, why pay these men million dollar bonuses when now they are only thinking about change after being ridiculed for flying in on private jets with their hands out. Solution: Make the Big 3 make modernized, cost efficient, environment friendly vehicles and give the consumer a tax incentive on their purchase. What is so hard about that?

No comments: