Tuesday, February 3, 2009

GOOD DOG!!



I do believe in Divine Intervention. Especially with all of life's changes that I've experienced in the last couple of weeks. Not to get all TD Jakes on you, but I think I'm tapped in.. highly favored.. blessed. Everything that I questioned regarding the BIG MOVE, God has given me a clear answer. I don't recall it ever being any clearer. Blind faith (I get it). So, I was torn leaving my mother in Atlanta with all the personal turmoil she went through over the past five years, with coming out of retirement, being deserted by her husband of 34 years (sorry pops), losing her mother, and taking on the daunting task of caring for my ailing grandfather who just had his 92nd birthday... and not least of all... running her own business. That guilt kept me in an undesirable place for five years (which pales in comparison to the sacrifices she's made). So on my journey to DC, I left something behind... my beloved Kingston (the dog). He couldn't make the big trip until I got settled. I miss the sound of him gnawing on his chew toy, barking at the sound of what he thought was an intruder but only the mail man, and him snoring like an old man that had been at work all day (annoying and cute at the same time). Ok, so here is where the divine intervention comes in. I forgot how much joy a family pet can bring to a household, and that is something my mother never experienced (which explains her initial apprehension to becoming Kingston's temporary dog sitter). She doesn't want to admit it, but she has completely fallen in love with that dog. She has taken that dog to the groomers, gotten him a new dog collar, and morning walks (I didn't even do that). Everytime I'm on the phone with her she tells me something funny he did that day. All the things that made me laugh, now make her laugh. My guilt has subsided and now my mother has a new best friend. Eventhough I may have lost my dog to my mother, the sacrifice is well worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! I left my cat "Leo" with my parents 7 years ago and they treat him better than me!!! You may have to find a new pet once you are settled in DC.....