Monday, July 7, 2008

When Friends & Fam Turn into Haters




Okay, so I know you can't choose your family ...and keep your friends closer and your enemies even closer...blah, blah, blah...but WHY is it that most people -- okay, I'll say it, BLACK people aren't happy for you when you're doing well and they are pleased as punch (yes, I said it, and I'm Black) when you are struggling in a $4+ per gallon economy, surviving the foreclosure frenzy, and nearing the end...(THANK GOD) of an 8-year reign of idiocraty (not a real word) that tied up everyone's pockets and crushed the morale of even the highest of rollers.

Within the last week, I have encountered a family member who said "wow, you have a really big butt," to "you're probably going to lose your hair" and "hey, your house could look a lot better if you just did a little of this, and a little of that". Then a "friend" (loosely defined as far as I'm concerned) comes over and piles on more negative comments.

Now am I a little sensitive because like most, I really don't like criticism? Probably. But isn't it even worse when you don't ask for these opinions, which are indeed like a**holes and everyone has one?!?

Now don't get me wrong, on the flip side, I've got some wonderful friends, some great family support, and some truly loving folks in my camp, but it's those few sour comments that really spoil even the sweetest of apples. So as I revel in my mid-30s, I am really looking forward to replacing these idiots with fresh sets of friends. I don't expect to never be pissed off (or on) again, but at least I'm no longer afraid to flush these fools down the toilet. HOLLA!

1 comment:

Get Togetha said...

Funny how you posted this and no one responded. I won't use the word "hater" cause it's played as hell; but I will say that the order of the day is resentment. Served up hot and fresh every-time you even shudder to think about shining.

Oprah once said that people are fine when you are doing ok; not great; but just ok. But when you start soaring. Watch Out. People will fight you tooth and nail to knock you down a peg or too.

Always keep that in mind. It's called rising above the law of the averages.

http://www.gettogetha.com/blog