Monday, July 14, 2008

BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER..



Mirror.. mirror on the wall... somebody help me! Just a little observation on my quest to understanding the opposite sex. The sentiment, "Whatever you think you SHOULD do.. do the opposite", rings loud and clear.

This week, I've been helping my mother at the family business.. EXPRESS CAR WASHES (fun)! This is not the most glamorous environment, but you step in when needed and the extra change in your pocket doesn't hurt. To illustrate.. my uniform.. khaki pants, a white/red polo shirt with company logo included.. (and here is when it gets dicey) a wrap cap covered by a khaki fitted. Let me go back and explain the wrap cap (yes.. like the one you wear to bed at night). I spend too much time and money on a weekly basis maintaining my hair between daily work outs at the gym and just running errands in 90+ degree heat. I REFUSE.. to sacrifice the one thing that allows me to exude my girlyness for the world to see (or so I thought). I'm at the car wash/plantation.. doing my usual duties.. which most likely includes the following three things.. DIRT.. DIRT.. AND MORE DIRT! So of course I'm not in the mindset of catching a man. Usually during my inital two hours in this environment.. low self esteem has set in. I usually stop worrying about how hard I'm going to have to scrub my face to get the inch of muck left by the backwash of already filthy cars as they are going through the tunnel. Much to my amazement... I got hit on (by men) more times in a 5 hour window dressed as a Da Brat look alike.. than I do on any given day in my full makeup, pedicured toes, no wrap cap, 3" heel presentation. You know how when you are in a public place and someone looking in your direction throws their hand up and randomly waves at you.. and you cautiously turn around to confirm that they are actually waving at the person behind you. This happens at the car wash several times a day. I refuse to believe that while I'm offering these random suitors a choice in air freshener or removing their antennas, they all of a sudden can see past the dirty nails to consider asking... "Can I call you sometime?". I AM SHOCKED.. should I go on my random daily activities dressed this way, throw the whole girly thing out the window? Maybe it is the thought of seeing a women in a role that is traditionally reserved for a man that makes it sexy. More proof.. I did meet my last boyfriend at the car wash. Do we as women put too much emphasis on outer beauty? Is the average male capable of evolving into a mature individual that can see past the glitz and glam into a women's inner beauty? NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe that guy saw through the uniform and seen a diamond and the ruff. Sometimes beauty regonize beauty.