Wednesday, April 1, 2009

THE LONG GOODBYE..

Life is full of cycles. From birth to death, everything reverts back to the beginning. Over the past few years, my mother has been caring for my elderly grandfather in her home. After much soul searching, she had to make the agonizing decision to put him in a nursing home. My dearly departed grandmother met the same fate a few years back due to Alzheimers before her passing in 2005. So I know my mother's anguish. My grandfather's mind is still pretty sharp, but his body can't keep the pace any longer. It is like becoming a child again. While home over the weekend, it hit me that the end may be near. Not to sound morbid, but something in his eyes seemed different.. like the will to live was slowly leaving him. He's told me on many occasions that he's ready to leave God's Green Earth in the hopes of reuniting with my grandmother (Sooter) again. I know this cause every nurse that comes in the room he calls them Ezell (Sooter's government name). That theme became more prominent after being widowed. He knows there is nothing left for him to do here. Still in awe of his clarity at the wise age of 93. Watching my mother feverishly care for him has allowed me to have this same conversation with her. "You know you'll have to move in with one of us (my sister is in Chicago) when the time comes." I said. Remarkably, I could see a tinge of rebellion as she rolled her eyes to say "If you have to put me in a home, I'll be alright." :o( I know that reality is atleast 20 years away.. God willing.. but the conversation has to happen now. Now, I just have to figure out how to have the same conversation with my pops.

No comments: