Tuesday, March 17, 2009

DEATH OF THE DEBUTANTE...


When I look at the above pic, the first thing that comes to my mind is "welcome to the mind of a serial killer". That look on her face screams straight jacket.

I am really loving my new church.. well not really new.. I just rejoined two weeks ago. I usually get a little annoyed when they announce there is a guest pastor, but this one was good. He talked about the daughters of Job (won't get into the specifics since I left my Bible in the car). The short and sweet version.. illustrates how beneficial the strong bond between fathers and daughters can be. So, it got me thinking about modern day traditions our society uses to display this treasured bond. When I was 17, I participated in a Debutante Ball. It is a formal way for young women to be introduced into society. Yeah, it was fun dressing up in what looked like a wedding dress for a teenager (there's a connection), while on display for all of high society (more like mid society) to gawk at. Adhering to all the strict protocol, detailed etiquette, the all white dress code which was a sign of purity (technically I was still pure at the time.. thank you very much). The one thing that sticks out in my mind is the father/daughter dance. What a profound symbol at a young age. We all know that daughters usually learn how to be treated by their future boyfriends/fiances/husband by the example passed down from their fathers. Both positive and negative. With all the "daddy" issues I have, he did always make me feel that I should expect and always deserve the best. I see it now in the raising of my young niece and that special bond that is now developing between her and my brother in law. I think we take those lessons for granted and they usually get side lined for the quick and easy fix. Here I am, almost 20 years later, having to remind myself to revert back to the basics. The lesson can be so simple.. yet so easily forgotten.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post!!! Sometimes things really become clear after taking a good look back...Wow...If we could have only figured these things out earlier....b&a's momma