Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

Everyone will have their own version of what they experienced or how they felt on Tuesday morning 9/11/01. Some experienced this tragedy through several media outlets and some up close.

On that morning I got dressed, as usual, preparing to go to my job at L'Enfant Plaza in SW DC. That particular day, I decided to take Metro instead of driving, because I had stayed up late the night before and wanted to nap on the train, which was also a daily ritual. Because I worked in a secured federal building (right across from the Pentagon), I was used to the high level security protocol. It becomes a part of life in Washington. By the time I reach my desk, I get a CNN alert of the first plane hitting one of the Twin Towers. I'm shocked, but still removed emotionally (initially). As I expected with any sense of threat to national security, the announcement rings over the PA system to evacuate. This still was not abnormal, since in DC you evacuate just on GP atleast one a week, pre 9/11. My first inkling that things were not normal ... seeing Postal policemen running at full speed toward the exits (they NEVER run). As I reach the exit, I'm met by a crowd of people with the look of shock displayed on their faces. As I asked nervously.. "What happened?" A coworker points in the direction behind me. I turn to see, right across the Potomac, a large black smoke cloud over the Pentagon. My heart sunk. Disbelief. Washingtonians will tell you.. for so long, the elusive establishment known as the Pentagon was supposed to be the safest place on earth. The center of this country's military defense was penetrated. Panic ensued. We were told fighter jets were in the air to intercept another missing hijacked plane with its sights set on Washington. Since I work near the National Mall, it is pretty much an open field. No place to really take cover. We were being warned about possible snipers on the roof or suicide bombers. No communication, cell phones were immediately inoperable. I did a combination of a light jog/speed walk 40 blocks to a satellite office just to be out of harms way. With the Metro shut down, and cabs were not picking up any fares, we were instructed to leave the city. So me and another brave coworker chose to attempt another 30 + more block walk to reach downtown Silver Spring where we both lived. I remember stopping at a local Catholic church with their doors wide open. People were pouring in to stop and say a prayer. I gave a quick look to my walking partner and we also headed up those stairs to say a short prayer for the safety of our country. After about 10 more blocks up Georgia Avenue, by the grace of God, an already full Metro bus stopped to pick us up, no fare was collected .. it felt like we were rescued. In complete silence, we all sat in shock. Some gave reassuring looks, some were crying, still in disbelief. Dragging my swollen/throbbing feet to my front door, still not able to call my family in Atlanta to let them know I was okay and not knowing the full impact of the day.. I was met with the horrifying news that "the towers had fell". I broke down immediately as they began to estimate the death toll. I curled up on my bed and cried myself to sleep. Eventhough I did not lose anyone during this tragedy, I did know many that lost loved ones or were somehow personally affected by the terrorist attacks. So as I watch the coverage on CNN commemorating this tragic event, it almost seems like yesterday. I still say a prayer for those touched by this tragedy.

No comments: